Common support measures for students with disabilities

Students with disabilities can benefit from support measures at KI. To receive support in the study situation, you must present the necessary documentation such as a doctor's certificate or diagnosis to the Coordinator for Students with Disabilities.

Note-taking support

Note-taking support means that someone can help you take notes if your disability prevents you from doing so yourself. The coordinator for students with disabilities will help you to arrange someone to take notes for you. The student taking notes for you will be paid SEK 90/hour (only during teaching time). The time report is to be found at the bottom of this page. As a complement/alternative to note-taking help, you can ask the teacher if they can provide you with lecture notes before the lectures. 

Free copying

If you use note-taking help, you have the right to free copying (within reasonable limits) at the university. Take the certificate the Coordinator gave you and show it to one of the contact people at the libraries in Solna or Flemingsberg.

Extra teaching and tuition

Sometimes the Coordinator, having spoken to the student, may decide that resources should be allocated to allow the student to receive extra teaching and tuition. However, this support is dependent on there being the necessary teaching resources available. One alternative can be for a student in a higher year to do this. Talk to your course leader or student counsellor to inquire what is available for your course/your programme. The Coordinator can help you to finalise suitable arrangements. This support is based on a maximum of 1 hour/point.

Extended time for exams/alternative exams

A student must apply for an alternative exam to both the examiner and the Coordinator for Students with Disabilities at least two weeks before the exam. This is because it can take time to adapt articles to make them readable to a student or to organise a special invigilator, etc. Students who need more time for an exam or an alternative exam must consult with the examiner or the Coordinator for Students with Disabilities. The examiner makes the final decision, but the recommendation of the Coordinator for Students with Disabilities or dyslexia specialist is normally followed. Extended time means that people receive a slightly longer amount of time than other students. An alternative exam might, for example, be an oral exam or the student being allowed to use a computer to write their exam answers. Students may also be allowed to take an exam at home. The department in question must be informed of a special exam at least two weeks in advance.

Hearing loops

All large lecture halls are equipped with hearing loops that are activated using the control panel. Other teaching rooms do not have this, so it is a good idea to take your own portable equipment with you for group discussions. You should make sure that this equipment has been tested.

Adaptations of course literature

Borrow books

The Swedish Library of Talking Books and Braille, TPB, provides adaptations of course literature, including Braille books, talking books, enlargements and e-text. KIB loans this material to students who need it. All new KI students must borrow these books through KIB.

You can order talking books from TPB at the libraries at Karolinska Institutet. You need to use the order form 'Loans from the TPB collection', which you will find at the library's website. If you find it difficult to fill in this form, the customer service department at the library will be able to help you. If the book is available at TPB, we will send the book to you within five working days. If the book is not available at TPB, it must be ordered as a new production.


You can borrow e-text books from TPB via KIB, but you must have a licence number for the Textview program.


If you want to borrow enlarged materials, you need to order this as a new production through KIB.

Ordering new productions

If the course book you need is not available in TPB's catalogue, Handikat, you can order it as a new production. Only students with a user ID from TPB can order new productions. You can receive a user ID by contacting KIs Coordinator for Students with Disabilities, Viktoria Hansson. To receive a new production, you must have a signature from your teacher, certifying that the book is obligatory for your course. You should give customer service a signed list, detailing the course books that you need as new productions. You have to specify your name, telephone number, user ID, the order in which you want the books produced and the format. If you would like to order books in enlarged format, you should also specify the degree of enlargement. You should allow at least eight weeks for a book to be produced.

Reading help

Reading help means that you can have some of your course literature read onto tape. This often applies to texts that the Swedish Library of Talking Books and Braille are not responsible for, for example articles, compendiums and books that are fewer than 100 pages. You should be aware that this is not a professional reading and that it can take a certain amount of time to have this material read onto tape.

Mentor help

A mentor is often an 'older' student who helps another student during their studies. They can help them to get started with studies, as well as clearly explaining the expectations that a department has for study assignments.

Special Needs Room

There are two Special Needs Rooms, one at the Solna Campus and the other at the Flemingsberg Campus. They can be booked and used for individual exams and for studies. If you would like to use this room, contact the reception at the library in question. You can only book by telephone on the days that the library is open. You should note that if the rooms have been booked, exams will always take precedence. There are times when many people want to use the room, so it is advisable to book as early as possible before the exam.

The room has the following equipment:

  • Program for screen reading and magnification (ZoomText)
  • Speech synthesizer with keyboard reading (ViTal)
  • Reading program for talking books (Playback2000)
  • Spell-check (StavaRätt)
  • Computerised dictionary (WordFinder2000), also including medicine (WordFinder 7 Pro)
  • Translation programme with pronunciation help (Quicktionary WordPoint)
  • Programs for word processing (Word), spreadsheets (Excel), database solutions (Access) and presentations (PowerPoint)
  • OCR programme for processing digitalised/scanned documents (Finereader Pro7)
  • Scanner for reading and digitalising paper documents
  • Printer
  • Text magnification devices (Magnivision)
  • Physiotherapy students can receive help in converting research proposals and other material to texts that can be edited electronically. This means that you can receive it in a format that is suitable for you.

Sign language interpreters

If you need sign language interpreters, you have to notify Karolinska Institutet and the Coordinator for Students with Disabilities at the time of application and well before your studies start. Also refer to the Institute for Interpretation and Translation Studies website.

Institute for Interpretation and Translation Studies' at Stockholm University