Oral Health - Science 1, 4 creditsOral hälsa - vetenskap 1, 4 hp
- Course code
- Course name
- Oral Health - Science 1
- 4 credits
- Form of Education
- Higher Education, study regulation 2007
- Main field of study
- Oral Health
- G1 - First cycle 1
- Grading scale
- Fail (U), pass (G) or pass with distinction (VG)
- Department of Dental Medicine
- Decided by
- Education committee DENTMED
- Decision date
- Course syllabus valid from
- Spring 2020
Specific entry requirements
After completing the course, the student will be able to:
- Describe, in writing and in English, basic theoretical science concepts and review the structure and content of scientific articles.
- Describe, in writing and verbally and in English, evidence relating to oral health examination methods and work to promote health, and also reflect on the benefits of evidence for clinicians, patients and society.
- Critical review of scientific articles with respect to content and structure.
- Methods and theoretical science concepts in research about oral health.
- Evidence for examination methods of periodontal tissues and caries damage, plus advice on oral hygiene and the importance of evidence for clinicians, patients and society.
Lectures, group work and seminars.
Seminars and group work are compulsory.
The course coordinator decides if, and how, absence from compulsory parts can be compensated. Study results cannot be reported until the student has participated in compulsory course elements or compensated for any absence in accordance with instructions from the course coordinator. Absence from a compulsory course element could mean that the student can not retake the element until the next time the course is offered.
Written individual examination, submission of a written group assignment and oral presentation in seminars.
Attendance at mandatory course elements is also required in order to pass the course.
Students who do not pass a regular examination are entitled to re-sit the examination on five more occasions. If the student has failed six examinations/tests, no additional examination is given. Each occasion the student participates in the same test counts as an examination. Submission of a blank exam paper is regarded as an examination. In case a student is registered for an examination but does not attend, this is not regarded as an examination.
If there are special grounds, or a need for adaptation for a student with a disability, the examiner may decide to deviate from the syllabus's regulations on the examination form, the number of examination opportunities, the possibility of supplementation or exemptions from the compulsory section/s of the course etc. Content and learning outcomes as well as the level of expected skills, knowledge and abilities may not be changed, removed or reduced.
If the course is closed down or undergoes major changes, examination under a previous literature list and learning outcomes will be offered no more than one academic year after the implementation of the revision/close-down.
Language of instruction: English. All examinations will be given in English.
Literature and other teaching aids
3rd ed. : New York : Baillière Tindall, 2002. - 98 s. ISBN:0-7020-2670-0 LIBRIS-ID:8631532 Library search
Stockholm : Socialstyrelsen, 2011 - 246 s. ISBN:978-91-86885-09-0 LIBRIS-ID:12199431 Library search
3. uppl. : Stockholm : Liber, 2011 - 328 s. ISBN:91-47-10051-6 LIBRIS-ID:12233128 Library search