Pharmacology and Pathology 2, 7.5 creditsFarmakologi och sjukdomslära 2, 7.5 hp
- Course code
- Course name
- Pharmacology and Pathology 2
- 7.5 credits
- Form of Education
- Higher Education, study regulation 2007
- Main field of study
- Not applicable
- AV - Second cycle
- Grading scale
- Fail (U) or pass (G)
- Department of Laboratory Medicine
- Decided by
- Programnämnden 3
- Decision date
- Revised by
- Education committee NVS
- Last revision
- Course syllabus valid from
- Autumn 2017
Specific entry requirements
Qualification as a nurse certified by the National Board of Health and Welfare
Part 1: Pharmacological application in special disease states, 4.5 higher education credits.
On completion of this part, the student should be able to apply and
- integrate knowledge in pathology in the identification of medical conditions and disease problems within the indications established by the Swedish National Board of Health and Welfare
- combine knowledge in special pharmacology and disease theory to be able to assess needs of drugs in the current situation
- understand factors as for instance, gender, age, pharmacogenetic and environmental, that govern choice of and assessment of drugs
- integrate knowledge in order to follow up, evaluate and complete a drug treatment where the patient is made to participate in the decision-making process
Part 2: Drug prescribing, 3 higher education credits
On completion of this part, the student should be able to:
- carry out drug prescription to a patient in accordance with current guidelines
- describe and understand the principle for evaluating drugs
- carry out a correct documentation of one's prescription
On completion of the course, student should be able to prescribe drugs to a patient in accordance with the regulation of the Swedish National Board of Health and Welfare (SOSFS 2001:16) about qualification requirements for nurses in the prescription of drugs.
This course should, together with Pharmacology and pathology 1, lead to qualification requirements for a specialist nurse to apply for a prescription right according to the regulation of the Swedish National Board of Health and Welfare (SOSFS 2001:16) about qualification requirements for nurses in the prescription of drugs.
The course consists of two parts:
The course is IT based. The teaching is based on a problem-oriented and collaborative approach to learning in which the tasks provide opportunities for the student to take active responsibility for their learning. The used teaching methods are individual study assignments, work in groups, virtual discussions and seminars and lectures.
Part 1: All the outcomes are examined through a written examination. In case of failure of a written group examination, written individual examinations are required as above.
- Drug prescription is examined through a written individual examination.
- Other outcomes are examined at seminars. In case of absence from seminars, a written complementary assignment should be submitted for approval according to the course director's instructions.
Pass in all parts is required for a Pass in the course.
Students who do not pass a regular examination are entitled to re-sit the examination on five more occasions. Students without approved results after three examinations can be offered to retake the course or parts of it once more; subject to availability. If the student has failed six examinations/tests, no additional examination is given. Each occasion the student participates in the same test counts as an examination. Submission of a blank exam paper is regarded as an examination. In case a student is registered for an examination but does not attend, this is not regarded as an examination.
Course evaluation takes place in accordance with the guidelines established by the Board of Education.
Literature and other teaching aids
4. uppl. : Natur & Kultur Akademisk, 2016 - 500 s. ISBN:9789127142381 LIBRIS-ID:17414359 Library search
5. utg. : Stockholm : Apotekarsocieteten, 2012 - 124 s. ISBN:978-91-979452-4-0 LIBRIS-ID:13530834 Library search
1. uppl. : Stockholm : Studentlitteratur, 2014 - 156 s. ISBN:9789144084947 LIBRIS-ID:16016342 Library search
7., [rev. och uppdaterade] uppl. : Lund : Studentlitteratur, 2007 - 517 s. ISBN:9789144000640 (inb.) LIBRIS-ID:10523703 URL: http://www.studentlitteratur.se/omslagsbild/artnr/802-07/height/320/width/320/bild.jpg Library search
5., [omarb.] uppl. : Stockholm : Liber, 2011 - 1022 s. ISBN:978-91-47-90863-9 LIBRIS-ID:12316233 Library search
Uppsala : Läkemedelsverket,  - 1275 s. LIBRIS-ID:14878607 URL: Fritt tillgänglig via Läkemedelsverket
senaste uppl. : Läkemedelsinformation AB, URL: www.fass.se