Health and Ill-Health - a Psychosomatic Perspective, 7.5 creditsHälsa och ohälsa - ett psykosomatiskt perspektiv, 7.5 hp
- Course code
- Course name
- Health and Ill-Health - a Psychosomatic Perspective
- 7.5 credits
- Form of Education
- Higher Education, study regulation 2007
- Main field of study
- Not applicable
- Second cycle, in-depth level of the course cannot be classified
- Grading scale
- Fail (U) or pass (G)
- Department of Neurobiology, Care Sciences and Society
- Decided by
- Styrelsen för utbildning
- Decision date
- Revised by
- Education committee NVS
- Last revision
- Course syllabus valid from
- Autumn 2021
Specific entry requirements
A minimum of 120 credits from studies leading towards a professional degree as occupational therapist, audiologist, dietician, speech therapist, medical doctor, psychologist, nurse, physiotherapist, or social work. And proficiency in Swedish and English equivalent to Swedish B/Swedish 3 and English A/English 6.
The aim of the course is to provide enhanced knowledge of a psychosomatic approach and how this can be applied in the patient encounter and in collaboration with other staff in the multi-disciplinary team.
On completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- account too and apply a biopsychosocial perspective on mental/psychosomatic disease, long pain and stress-related troubles
- account for body therapy, affect focused and behavioural interventions and their applications
- co-operate in a multi-disciplinary team, and argue for the own specific field of knowledge and the role in the rehabilitation of patients with mental/psychosomatic problems, long lasting pain and stress-related problems
- demonstrate a scientific and critical thinking and a reflective attitude to one's own perspectives/values and realise the needs of life-long learning
The course comprises:
- Explanatory models on health/unhealth from a bio-psycho-social perspective
- Body, being, meaning and reflection as central concepts to understand the body soul entity
- Merleau-Ponty's phenomenological understanding of "the lived body"
- Models to understand acceptance and change processes
- Existential perspective on health / ill health
- Therapeutic attitude
- Theories and excercises to stimulate affect- and bodyawareness
Different types of teaching are used; lectures, literature studies, discussions in seminars and group project.. Strong emphasis is put on active knowledge acquisition and at reflecting on ones own experiences in body awareness - and mindfulness training.
The examiner decides whether, and if so how, absence from or unfulfillment of compulsory course elements can be made up for. Study results cannot be reported until the student has participated in or fulfilled compulsory course elements, or compensated for any absence/ failure to fulfill in accordance with instructions from the examiner. Absence from or unfulfillment of a compulsory course element may imply that the student can not retake the element until the next time the course is offered.
Assessment of knowledge, skills, attitudes and self reflecting capacity is continuously carried out through follow-up of study assignments, and in the final examination. The examination consists of a written individual assignment and an assignment that is carried out in groups. For a Pass grade in the course, fulfilment of study assignments, approved examination, attendance and active participation in body awareness training and seminar discussions, are required.
Mandatory elements for a passed course are:
- Oral and written study assignments that are presented individually or in groups
- Mandatory attendance and active participation in patient case seminars and presentations
- Attendance 80% of other scheduled time
Students who do not pass a regular examination are entitled to re-sit the examination on five occasions more. If the student has failed a total of six examinations/tests, no additional examination is given. Each occasion the student participates in the same test counts as an examination. Submission of a blank exam paper is regarded as an examination. In case a student is registered for an examination but does not attend, this is not regarded as an examination.
If there are special reasons, or a need for adaptation for a student with a disability, the examiner may decide to deviate from the syllabus' regulations on examination form, number of examination opportunities, possibility of supplementation or exemption from compulsory educational elements, etc. Content and learning objectives as well as the level of expected skills, knowledge and abilities may not be changed, removed or lowered.
Examination will be provided during a period of one year after a close-down of the course. Examination may take place following previous course literature during a period of one year after the date of the renewal of the course literature.
Language of instruction: Swedish.
Course evaluation is carried out in accordance with the guidelines established by the Board of Education. During the course, the participants are encouraged to give their views on the course content and arrangements. .
This course is a collaboration with The Ersta Sköndal University College Department of caring science.
The course replaces 2QA020.
The course can not be included in a degree together with successful completion of another course if the content totally or partly corresponds with the content of this course. The following course is overlapping: 2XX044, Health and disease - a psychosomatic perspective, 7.5 HE credits
Literature and other teaching aids
1. uppl. : Lund : Studentlitteratur, 2012 - 406 s. ISBN:978-91-44-07321-7 LIBRIS-ID:13512943 Library search
Stockholm : Natur & Kultur, 2018 ISBN:9789127819504 LIBRIS-ID:19979413 URL: Omslagsbild Library search
Studentlitteratur AB, 2013 ISBN:978-91-44-08460-2 LIBRIS-ID:13743343 Library search
1. uppl. : Lund : Studentlitteratur, 2007 - 207,  s. ISBN:9789144026459 LIBRIS-ID:10462754 Library search
Upplaga 1 : Lund : Studentlitteratur,  - 213 sidor ISBN:9789144121697 LIBRIS-ID:hsp3941cf7mlv3ph Library search
1. uppl. : Lund : Studentlitteratur, 2005 - 255 s. ISBN:91-44-03099-1 LIBRIS-ID:9712834 Library search
Andra upplagan : Lund : Studentlitteratur AB, 2017 - 468 sidor ISBN:978-91-44-11243-5 LIBRIS-ID:20900395 Library search