Research Methods and Statistics in Speech and Language Pathology and Audiology, 7.5 creditsForskningsmetod och statistik i logopedi och audiologi, 7.5 hp
- Course code
- Course name
- Research Methods and Statistics in Speech and Language Pathology and Audiology
- 7.5 credits
- Form of Education
- Higher Education, study regulation 2007
- Main field of study
- Audiology, Speech and Language Pathology
- Second cycle, has only first-cycle course/s as entry requirements
- Grading scale
- Fail (U) or pass (G)
- Department of Clinical Science, Intervention and Technology
- Decided by
- Utbildningsnämnden CLINTEC
- Decision date
- Revised by
- Education committee CLINTEC
- Last revision
- Course syllabus valid from
- Autumn 2019
Specific entry requirements
Degree of Master of Science in Speech and Language Pathology or Degree of Bachelor of Science in Audiology of at least 180 credits. Or Degree of Bachelor in audiology. In addition, proficiency in Swedish and English equivalent to Swedish B/Swedish 3 and English A/English 6.
The student should be able to:
- Apply specific criteria to evaluate the validity of clinical tests and rating instruments in speech-language pathology and audiology
- Discuss and justify methods to evaluate reliability and validity of clinical scales and test batteries
- Suggest and carry out appropriate statistical analyses to evaluate treatment outcomes
The course covers themes as how the diagnostic accuracy of instruments in audiology and logopedics can be evaluated with clinical research methods and how reliability and validity are established for rating scales and test batteries. Also statistical analysis of treatment outcomes with various types of data is discussed.
Lectures, seminars, demonstrations and practical exercises as well as written and oral presentation.
For passed course is required active participation in seminars and written and oral presentation of final report. Any absence is supplemented by implementation of equivalent activity at other occasion.
If there are special grounds, or a need for adaptation for a student with a disability, the examiner may decide to deviate from the syllabus's regulations on the examination form, the number of examination opportunities, the possibility of supplementation or exemptions from the compulsory section/s of the course etc. Content and learning outcomes as well as the level of expected skills, knowledge and abilities may not be changed, removed or reduced.
Examination will be provided during a period of two years after a possible closing of the course. Examination can be carried out according to an earlier literature list during a period of one year after the date of a renewal of the literature list.
Course evaluation will be carried out in accordance with the guidelines established by the Board of Higher Education. The course evaluation will be web-based. Language of instruction: Swedish.
Literature and other teaching aids
1. uppl. : Stockholm : Liber, 2011 - 327 s. ISBN:91-47-10343-4 (korr.) LIBRIS-ID:12055810 Library search
3., [uppdaterade och omarb.] uppl. : Malmö : Liber, 2012 - 552 s. ISBN:978-91-47-09737-1 (korr.) LIBRIS-ID:13434322 Library search
6th ed., International ed. : Boston, [Mass.] : Pearson, c2013. - xxxi, 983 p. ISBN:0205890814 LIBRIS-ID:13543104 Library search
2nd ed. : San Diego : Plural Pub., c2014. - xix, 333 p. ISBN:9781597565080 LIBRIS-ID:19887339 Library search