Sports Medicine and Sports Medicine Research Methodology, 30 creditsIdrottsmedicin och idrottsvetenskaplig metodik, 30 hp
- Course code
- Course name
- Sports Medicine and Sports Medicine Research Methodology
- 30 credits
- Form of Education
- Higher Education, study regulation 2007
- Main field of study
- Not applicable
- Second cycle, in-depth level of the course cannot be classified
- Grading scale
- Fail (U) or pass (G)
- Department of Molecular Medicine and Surgery
- Decided by
- Utbildningsnämnden MMK
- Decision date
- Revised by
- Education committee MMK
- Last revision
- Course syllabus valid from
- Autumn 2022
Specific entry requirements
A Bachelor's degree or a professional degree of at least 120 credits is required in health care or sports and training. Or at least 240 credits from the Study Programme in Medicine. And proficiency in Swedish and English equivalent to Swedish B/Swedish 3 and English A/English 6.
The student should have advanced knowledge and understanding on completion of the course for how medical subjects are related to physical activity and sports.
On completion of the course, the student should be able to:
1. on the basis of advanced knowledge in sports physiology, sports traumatology, sports rehabilitation, sports psychology and a sports injury epidemiology reflect and explain the relationship between sports/physical training and sports-related injuries, and between sports-related injuries and their rehabilitation.
2. choose adequate evaluation instruments to evaluate both physical status of the uninjured athlete and different physical parameters after rehabilitation of an injured athlete before returning to sports.
3. design, carry out and document a literature study based on current scientific findings in the sports medical area.
4. identify and carry out preventive actions against sports injuries, and account for how adequate rehabilitation and evaluation after a sports injury should be conducted.
The course gives a scientific insight into current research in sports medicine, including sports physiology, sports traumatology, sports rehabilitation, sports psychology and a sports injury epidemiology. The course is divided in 4 modules.
Research methodology and statistics, 4.0 hp
Sports medicine 1, 11.0 hp
Areas of general medicine, 3.0 hp
ENG, 4.0 hp
Project work, 8.0 hp
The course sessions consist of lectures, video demonstrations and discussions of diagnostics, acute treatment and rehabilitation in different case studies, i.e. patients with typical sports-related injuries and clinical joint diagnostics. Some teaching will take place in seminars, in which the students work in groups with different problem-oriented assignments in the sports medical area. Furthermore, teaching of research methodology and statistics, and practical laboratory sessions with the use of various research equipments will take place. In addition to this, literature studies and review of scientific articles are included. All parts in the course should be dominated by a reflecting attitude to sports based on the sports positive both as negative effects on the health.
Compulsory participation: 80% attendance is required. If this is not fulfilled, individual written assignments are required. There is no possibility to re-take the course.
The course is examined in the following way:
Part 1: written and oral examination
Part 2: written examination
Part 3: written examination
Part 4: written examination
Part 5: oral presentation and written documentation of literature study
For a Pass with distinction in the entire course, the grade Pass with distinction is required in all examination parts.
Examination will be provided during a period of two years after a close-down of the course. Examination may take place under a previous reading list during a period of one year after the date of the renewal of the reading list.
Language of instruction: mainly Swedish, but English-speaking guest lecturers may be involved. Part of the litterature, especially the scientific papers, is in English.
Evaluation of the course will take place in connection with the course closure and be conducted in accordance with the guidelines established by the Board of Higher Education.
Literature and other teaching aids
Solna : Svenska fotbollförb., 1998 - 496 s. ISBN:91-88474-06-2 (inb.) LIBRIS-ID:8381690 Library search
Stockholm : SISU idrottsböcker, 2004 - 416 s. ISBN:91-88941-83-3 (inb.) LIBRIS-ID:9397588 Library search
Stockholm : Natur och kultur, 2003 - 398,  s. ISBN:91-27-09149-X (inb.) LIBRIS-ID:9066912 Library search
Stockholm : Centrum för idrottsforskning, 2007 - 336 s. ISBN:91-87154-17-X LIBRIS-ID:10520361 Library search
Stockholm : SISU Idrottsböcker, 2008 - 376 s. ISBN:91-88941-91-4 LIBRIS-ID:10902273 URL: http://www.idrottsbokhandeln.se/Images/Article/Omslagsbild/Mellan/690.jpg Library search
Stockholm : SISU idrottsböcker, 2004 - 261 s. ISBN:91-88941-87-6 LIBRIS-ID:9493250 Library search
3., [uppdaterade och omarb.] uppl. /b översättning av Viveka Tunek, Susanne Brokop, kapitel 21 ; [konstnärer: Lennart : Stockholm : Prisma, 2003 - x, 534 s. ISBN:91-518-3995-4 (inb.) LIBRIS-ID:8904870 Library search
Farsta : SISU, 2001 - 152 s. ISBN:91-88941-02-7 LIBRIS-ID:7776774 Library search
Stockholm : SISU idrottsböcker, 2008 - 352 s.b ill.c 27 cm ISBN:978-91-85433-55-1 LIBRIS-ID:11224970 Library search
1. uppl. : Stockholm : SISU idrottsböcker, 2011 - 344 s. ISBN:9789186323097 LIBRIS-ID:12130781 Library search
1. uppl. : Stockholm : SISU idrottsböcker, 2012 - 149 s. ISBN:978-91-86323-44-8 LIBRIS-ID:13483001 Library search
1. uppl. : Lund : Studentlitteratur, 2012 - 309 s. ISBN:978-91-44-07271-5 LIBRIS-ID:12543003 Library search
Stockholm : SISU idrottsböcker, 2008 - 414 s. ISBN:978-91-85433-29-2 LIBRIS-ID:10686708 URL: http://www.idrottsbokhandeln.se/Images/Article/Omslagsbild/Mellan/674.jpg Library search
3., [uppdaterade] uppl. : Lund : Studentlitteratur, 2003 - 149 s. ISBN:9789144022888 LIBRIS-ID:8868468 Library search