Advanced Course in Health Systems and Policy, 5 creditsAvancerad kurs i hälsosystem och policy, 5 hp
- Course code
- Course name
- Advanced Course in Health Systems and Policy
- 5 credits
- Form of Education
- Higher Education, study regulation 2007
- Main field of study
- Medical Management
- AV - Second cycle
- Grading scale
- Fail (U), pass (G) or pass with distinction (VG)
- Department of Learning, Informatics, Management and Ethics
- Decided by
- Utbildningsnämnden LIME
- Decision date
- Revised by
- Education committee LIME
- Last revision
- Course syllabus valid from
- Autumn 2022
Specific entry requirements
A Bachelor's degree or a professional degree equivalent to a Swedish Bachelor's degree of at least 180 credits in public health science, healthcare or other relevant social sciences subject area. And proficiency in English equivalent to English B/English 6.
And at least the grade G (pass) on the course Health systems and policy, 10 credits at the Master's Programme in Health Economics, Policy and Management.
To deepen the students' knowledge of health policy formation and implementation guided by medicine and epidemiology as well as develop methodological skills in health system research and evidence-informed policy-making and implementation.
Upon completion of the course, students should have:
Knowledge and understanding
- to reflect on the major theories and frameworks for health policy and systems analysis;
- of how national health policy agenda is created and influenced by international organizations and other global factors;
- of how health policy is implemented and how knowledge generated can be effectively communicated to policy-makers.
Skills and abilities
- to plan interventions and reforms in health systems as well as evaluation of these;
- to apply theories and frameworks required in health systems research and improvement work.
Judgement and approach
- to make assessments of health policy, taking into account relevant scientific, social and equity aspects, and demonstrate an awareness of ethical aspects of research and development work;
- to identify knowledge gaps and develop appropriate research questions and a research design that could close these gaps.
The health policy framework and use of it in analysis of health policy.
The health system framework and methods in analysis of reforms and system changes:
- Applying a systems perspective to design and evaluate health systems interventions
- Barriers and facilitators for implementation of system changes in healthcare.
Health System and policy research and evaluation: research and evaluation designs, quantitative and qualitative methods, synthesising and communicating research evidence.
Globalization, and health policy and systems.
A mix of interactive lectures, seminars, case methodology, site-visits and individual and group assignments. Major parts of the course will be allocated to a group assignment, in which health systems and policy knowledge and skills are applied in an improvement project. Students will write diaries with reflections and comments on specific topics brought up during the course.
- Written and oral assignments.
The requirement for the grade Pass with distinction (VG) is VG on the individual written assignment, and pass (G) on remaining assignments.
Attendance in mandatory parts is required.
The examiner assesses if, and in that case how, absence can be compensated. Before the student has participated in all compulsory parts or compensated absence in accordance with the examiner's instructions, the student's results for respective part will not be registered. Absence from a compulsory activity may result in that the student cannot compensate the absence until the next time the course is given.
Limitation of number of occasions to write the exam
Students who have not passed the regular examination are entitled to participate in five more examinations. If the student has not passed the exam after four participations he/she is encouraged to visit the study counsellor.
The number of times that the student has participated in one and the same examination is regarded as an examination session. Submission of a blank examination is regarded as an examination. An examination for which the student registered but not participated in will not be counted as an examination.
If there are special grounds, or a need for adaptation for a student with a disability, the examiner may decide to deviate from the syllabus's regulations on the examination form, the number of examination opportunities, the possibility of supplementation or exemptions from the compulsory section/s of the course etc. Content and learning outcomes as well as the level of expected skills, knowledge and abilities may not be changed, removed or reduced.
Examination will be provided during a time of two years after a possible cancellation of the course. Examination can take place according to an earlier literature list during a time of one year after the date when a major renewal of the literature list has been made.
Course evaluation will be carried out in accordance with the guidelines established by the Committee for Higher Education.
The course language is English.
Literature and other teaching aids
Maidenhead : Open University Press, 2005 - 206 s. ISBN:0-335-21839-3 LIBRIS-ID:10134042 Library search
World Health Organization, 2012 URL: Elektronisk resurs