Basic medical science, 7.5 creditsGrundläggande medicinsk vetenskap, 7.5 hp
- Course code
- Course name
- Basic medical science
- 7.5 credits
- Form of Education
- Higher Education, study regulation 2007
- Main field of study
- Not applicable
- GX - First cycle
- Grading scale
- Fail (F), fail (Fx), sufficient (E), satisfactory (D), good (C), very good (B) or excellent (A)
- Department of Clinical Neuroscience
- Decided by
- Programnämnd 5
- Decision date
- Revised by
- Programme Committee 5
- Last revision
- Course syllabus valid from
- Autumn 2015
Specific entry requirements
A Bachelor's degree or a professional degree equivalent to a Swedish Bachelor's degree of at least 180 credits in health care, biomedicine, medical technology, computer and systems sciences, informatics or the equivalent. Knowledge of the English language equivalent to English B at Swedish upper secondary school.
On completion of the course, the student should at a general level be able to describe:
• The structure and function of the cell and tissues
• The organ systems of the body and their function
• Common diseases
• The structure and function of the cell
• The different tissues of the body
• The nervous system structure and function and diseases that may affect the nervous system and treatment of these
• The structure and function of the senses
• The structure and function of the circulation apparatus, and diseases that may affect this organ systems and their treatment
• The structure and function of the respiration system and diseases that may affect the respiration paths and their treatment
• The structure and function of the gastrointestinal canal and diseases that may affect the gastrointestinal canal, and their treatment
• The hormone systems structure and function and disorders that may affect this system and treatment of these
• The structure and function of the immune system, and infection and immunological diseases
• The structure and function of the reproductive organs
The teaching is given partly in the form of lectures where the students are encouraged to active participation and partly in the form of group assignments. The students will also get study questions that they should work independently with. There is also scheduled time when students may discuss these questions with teachers.
One written examination.
Two mandatory group exercises based on the study questions. The course director assesses if and, in that case, how absence can be compensated. Before the student has participated in all compulsory parts or compensated absence in accordance with the course director's instructions, the student's results for the course will not be registered in LADOK.
Limitation of number of occasions to write the exam
The student has the right to write the exam six times. If the student has not passed the exam after four participations he/she is encouraged to visit the study advisor.
The number of times that the student has participated in one and the same examination is regarded as an examination session. Submission of a blank examination is regarded as an examination. An examination for which the student registered but not participated in will not be counted as an examination.
Examination will be provided during a time of two years after a possible cancellation of the course. Examination can take place according to an earlier literature list during a time of one year after the date when a major renewal of the literature list has been made.
Course evaluation will be carried out in accordance with the guidelines established by the Board of Higher Education.
The course is given in English.