Clinical course in orthodontics - orthodontic diagnosis and treatment planning, 15 creditsKlinisk kurs i ortodonti - ortodontisk diagnostik och behandlingsplanering, 15 hp
- Course code
- Course name
- Clinical course in orthodontics - orthodontic diagnosis and treatment planning
- 15 credits
- Form of Education
- Contract education (credits)
- Main field of study
- AV - Second cycle
- Grading scale
- Fail (U) or pass (G)
- Department of Dental Medicine
- Decided by
- Styrelsen för utbildning
- Decision date
- Course syllabus valid from
- Autumn 2011
Specific entry requirements
Dental Degree of at least 180 credits. In addition, knowledge of English equivalent to English is required.
- demonstrate a deeper knowledge of different indexes for orthodontic treatment need - prioritise patients according to treatment needs - evaluate the risk/benefit of treatment - independently examine patients and to investigate the diagnosis of their malocclusion and tooth position anomalies - independently apply appropriate investigation methods - make a treatment plan that is founded in evidence-based knowledge - explain and justify a proposed treatment for the patient
Treatment Needs Indexes. Indications for orthodontic treatment. Prognosis. Complication and risks. Retention and stability. Medical and dental history. Clinical examination. Clinical documentation (impression taking, clinical photography, radiography, analysis of plaster models and radiographs, cephalometric analysis). Synthesis and problem list. Treatment plan (indication, objectives, form of therapy, treatment, prognosis, patient effort, risk / benefit). Patient information.
Studies of textbook in seminars. Registration and examination of patients. Therapy meetings and discussion with arguments and counter-arguments. Rounds with other dental specialities. Presentations of therapy to patients.
Written examination in orthodontic diagnosis and treatment planning. Oral examination comprising test of the treatment needs assessment, diagnosis and therapy plan in previously treated cases. Assessment of the ability to apply the knowledge in the clinic.
Language of instruction: English.
Literature and other teaching aids
2. ed. : Chicago : Quintessence Pub., cop. 2006 - 308 p. ISBN:978-0-86715-461-0 (hardcover) LIBRIS-ID:10257425 Library search
4th ed. : St. Louis, Mo. : Mosby Elsevier, c2007 - xii, 751 p. ISBN:978-0-323-04046-4 LIBRIS-ID:10333462 Library search
Stuttgart : Thieme, 1993. - viii, 272 s. ISBN:3-13-782001-4 LIBRIS-ID:4671212 Library search
3. ed. : Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2007 - x, 269 s. ISBN:978-0-19-856812-4 LIBRIS-ID:10470670 Library search
British journal of orthodontics.