Educational support for students with disabilities
Karolinska Institutet can provide students and doctoral students with disabilities with targeted study support during their studies. The purpose of the support is to offer the same high level of education and the same quality study environment for all students, regardless of disability.
What is the definition of disability?
Disability is defined as: a permanent physical, mental or intellectual impairment of functional capacity which was either caused by an injury or illness already at birth, which arose thereafter, or which may be expected to arise. (The Discrimination Act).
Examples of support
- Alternative exam (for example extended time)
- Alternative course litteratur (for example talking books)
- Copying and printing at the university library
- Extra tuition with supervisor
- Listening system (transmitter with portable hearing loop)
- Mentoring support
- Note-taking support
- Resource rooms and special equipment at the university library
- Sign language interpreter
- Support by a fellow student
- Written interpreter
Personalized aids and apps
For personalized aids, please contact your local health center.
For more information, please contact the coordinator at KI. Find the contact information below.
The coordinator for students with disabilities, the study counsellor, and staff at the student's heath centre will not disclose information about a student's personal circumstances to a third party without the student's explicit consent. However, for adaptations that need to be made within the scope of your education, for example, if you need an alternative exam, you will need to discuss this with your teachers.