Traineeships at Karolinska Institutet

Many students ask about the possibility of carrying out a traineeship or internship at Karolinska Institutet (KI).  


If your home institution does not have an exchange agreement with Karolinska Institutet, you can contact research groups at the departments of KI directly and enquire about a research-oriented traineeship or internship.

A traineeship period must not include participation in courses at KI. It is the department that decides whether or not to accept you for an internship/traineeship position. 

The Education Support Office at KI does not assist in finding clinical placements at hospitals or clinics or in laboratories at KI. KI only accepts exchange students within established exchange agreements. 

Note that as a trainee/freemover (not nominated to KI as an exchange student by your home institution) you: 

  • will not be registered as a student at KI (you will not be entitled to student discounts on Stockholm public transport, SL) 
  • will not be entitled to service and support intended for exchange students (Student accommodation, Swedish language course, Introduction days, etc.). 
  • will not receive a  Transcript of Records (ECTS) from KI upon completion of your traineeship.

The department at Karolinska Institutet (KI) which you have been accepted to will have the full responsibility for you on the same conditions as any employer.

If accepted for a traineeship at a KI department you will be covered by the group insurance Student IN through KI. Please note that if you do a traineeship at the Karolinska University Hospital, you are not insured by KI. 

For further information please contact the department directly where you are interested in doing your internship. 

Student coming through an Erasmus+ exchange agreement 

If you arrange an Erasmus+ traineeship directly with a research group, you are regarded a freemover and the information above applies also to you. 

A few study programmes at Karolinska Institutet have reached Erasmus+ agreements covering traineeship.  If you are a student from a partner institution you can carry out a project/thesis work at a laboratory by applying to one of our project courses for exchange students.

Please consult the International Coordinator at your home institution or contact the International Coordinators at KI for more information.

Content reviewer: