Health Informatics 2023-2024
To be accepted as an exchange student at Karolinska Institutet you must be enrolled at a higher education institution that has a written exchange agreement with Karolinska Institutet for the specific study programme of interest. Exchange students should be selected and nominated by their home institution, however the final decision on admission is made by Karolinska Institutet.
To find the syllabus for the course or rotation you are interested in, follow the link to the course syllabus archive above.
You need to enter the course codes to access the syllabuses and they can be found right before the name of the courses or rotations listed on this page, under "Options in English".
Options in English
Courses and research-oriented projects
A full-time course requires at least 40 hours of work per week, and the part time courses 20 hours per week. One week of full-time studies is equivalent to 1.5 ECTS credits. The performance will be graded in accordance with the ECTS grading scale and on the basis of the student´s fulfillment of the learning outcomes stated in the course syllabus.
- A Bachelor's degree or a professional degree equivalent to a Swedish Bachelor's degree of at least 180 credits in healthcare, biomedicine, medical technology, computer and systems sciences, informatics or the equivalent.
- In addition, other specific requirements may apply.
Semester 1 (autumn)
- 5HI000 Health Informatics – Needs, Objectives and Limitations, 5 ECTS credits (28 Aug - 17 Sep)
- 5HI001 Computer Applications in Healthcare and Biomedicine, 10 ECTS credits (27 Nov - 14 Jan)
- 5HI002 Basic Medical Science, 7.5 ECTS credits (18 Sep - 22 Oct)
- 5HI003 Health Care Organization and Management, 7.5 ECTS credits (23 Oct -26 Nov)
- SUHI016 Supplementary course in Computer and Systems Sciences, 15 ECTS credits (18 Sep – 26 Nov)
Semester 2 (spring)
- 5HI019 User Needs, Requirements Engineering and Evaluation, 10 ECTS credits (15 Jan - 18 Mar)
- 5HI020 Standardisation within Health Informatics, 5 ECTS credits (15 Jan - 18 Mar)
- 5HI013 Scientific Research Methods, 7.5 ECTS credits (19 mar – 2 June) The course is a part time course, corresponding to 50% study pace.
- SUHI012 Data Science for Health Informatics, 7.5 ECTS credits (21 mar – 2 June) The course is a part time course, corresponding to 50% study pace.
Semester 3 (autumn)
- 5HI021 Current research and trends in health informatics, 15 ECTS credits (28 Aug - 14 Jan) The course is a part time course, corresponding to 50% study pace.
- SUHI013 Project management and tools for health informatics, 7.5 ECTS credits (28 Aug – 29 Oct) The course is a part time course, corresponding to 50% study pace.
- SUHI015 Entrepreneurship in the Digital Society, 7.5 ECTS credits (30 Oct – 14 Jan) The course is a part time course, corresponding to 50% study pace.
- SUHI014 Introduction to Information Security, 7.5 ECTS credits (30 Oct – 14 Jan) The course is a part time course, corresponding to 50% study pace.
The Joint Master’s Programme in Health Informatics is given in collaboration with Stockholm University (SU), and therefore some courses from SU can also be made available provided there is an exchange agreement between your home university and SU. Currently, only students from National University of Singapore are eligible for studying at SU through this exchange.
The Department of Learning, Informatics, Management and Ethics (LIME) can offer a research-oriented project at master's level the spring semester.
- 2EE122 Project in Health Informatics for Exchange Students (15 Jan – 2 June 2024)
You need to make your own initial arrangements and secure the collaboration of a prospective project supervisor prior to applying to Karolinska Institutet. The most successful approach is to participate in an ongoing research project within your area of interest. When you initiate contact with potential supervisors inform them that you will apply for exchange at KI. Supervisors are in high demand and may not be able to respond to your enquiry immediately, so please be patient. When you have received confirmation, you state the subject area and the name and contact details of your supervisor at KI in your exchange application form.
For more information on the Joint Master's Programme in Health Informatics see the programme website
- 1 May for the autumn semester (end of August to mid-January)
- 1 October for the spring semester (mid-January to the beginning of June)