Student information about education regarding COVID-19

[Updated 2021-09-30] This information briefing to Karolinska Institutet’s students is updated continually as reports come in on the spread of the virus. Students are urged to keep themselves informed daily in order to find out about and act upon the latest recommendations.


  • As of 29 September, the Swedish Public Health Agency's regulations that applied during major parts of the pandemic was lifted. KI has therefore removed restrictions for teaching facilities.

    However, it is still important to stay at home and avoid contact with others in the event of signs of illness, to test yourself for symptoms and to follow the advice and guidelines for tracing infection. Read more about what applies from 29 September on the Swedish Public Health Agency's website. 

Make sure to keep up to date on the information on the page Information for staff and students regarding COVID-19.

The information on this page is general for what applies to the implementation of the educations at KI. The departments inform about what applies specifically to each course. 

Information about the autumn of 2021

KI has campus-based education starting 30 August 2021. Some teaching elements may still be given online. See your schedule to see what applies to your course.

Stay home if you or someone in your household feel ill

  • If you have any symptoms of COVID-19, however mild, you must stay at home and follow the detailed recommendations from the Public Health Agency of Sweden. If you have training elements that are compulsory, contact the person responsible for the course about the possibility of completing the examination at another time or if it is possible to supplement for the absence. 

In the event of absence from compulsory educational elements, the student shall, if possible, be offered replacement assignments. Decisions are made by the examiner.

Pregnant and breastfeeding/nursing students

In pregnancy and during breastfeeding, there are special reasons to pay extra attention to the risks in the work environment. Pregnant and breastfeeding students are entitled to an individual risk assessment of their study environment.

Covid-19 test and vaccine

COVID-19 vaccine

KI encourages students and employees to get vaccinated against Covid-19. Students and staff that have not yet been vaccinated against COVID-19 are welcome to one of Karolinska University Hospital’s two vaccination units: Solna Gamla Karolinska and Huddinge Karolinska

  • If you have a Swedish personal identity number and an e-identification, you can download the app ’AlltidÖppet’ and book a time slot, alternatively visit a vaccination unit for a drop-in time.
  • If you do not have a Swedish personal identity number, please visit a vaccination unit for a drop-in time.

Drop-in for vaccination at Karolinska Hospital's units

Solna: Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 08.00-15:00
Tuesday, Thursday: 08:00-20:00
Address: Karolinska vägen 22, The vaccination clinic is located in the old hospital building, (in the hospital area) follow the instructions on site.

Huddinge: Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 08.00-15:00
Monday, Wednesday: 08:00-20:00
Address: Medicingatan M43. Enter via the main entrance, go straight ahead until you see a glass staircase on the right. Continue downstairs and follow the signs to the vaccination clinic.

Identification (e.g. passport) is required.

You do not have to be a Swedish citizen to get the vaccine and everyone who lives or is permanently staying in Sweden will be offered the vaccine. The vaccination against Covid-19 is free of cost.

If you do not have personal identity number you can contact a healthcare centre (Vårdcentral) for an appointment. You can either use the search tool "Hitta vård" (in Swedish) to find your closest healthcare centre or you can call the Swedish healthcare service 1177 directly (available in English) for contact details.

Testing for COVID-19

If you have symptoms of COVID-19, you can make an appointment for testing (PCR test), which is free of charge, including for those without a Swedish social security number. 

If you do not have a Swedish personal number:

Contact your closest healthcare centre (Vårdcentral) to make an appointment. You can either use the search tool "Hitta vård"  (in Swedish) to find your closest healthcare centre or you can call the Swedish healthcare service 1177 directly (available in English) for contact details. 

If you have a Swedish personal number:

Download the app "Alltid öppet" and order your test there at any time. More information on the page "Getting tested for Covid-19" (on 1177 Vårdguiden, a Swedish healthcare service.)

If you or someone in the family has fallen ill

If you fall ill with COVID-19 you should stay home and follow the recommendations from the Swedish Public Health Agency. 

How long should I stay home? 

You will find information on how long to stay home if you have fallen ill with COVID-19 on the website of the Swedish Public Health Agency.

Student exchange

Outgoing students

For information about studies abroad, visit the page Information about exchange studies and studies related to the coronavirus.

Exchange students from abroad who are at KI

  • Same rules as for regular students
  • The students who go home have the right to take part in teaching/examination etc.
  • The same risks as for other international students (follow the link above)

KI Housing

KI Housing has gathered information about the coronavirus for KI Housing tenants.

When travelling 

If you are entering or re-entering Sweden from abroad, please stay updated on the recommendations from the Public Health Agency of Sweden. 

Read more about the travel ban (The Swedish Police's website)
Recommendations for people entering Sweden from abroad (The Public Health Agency of Sweden's website).

Frequently asked questions (FAQ)

What should I do if I have symptoms of COVID-19 but have compulsory teaching/examination?

You should stay at home even if you only feel slightly ill. Information is available on the Public Health Agency of Sweden's website on how to protect yourself and others from being infected with COVID-19. Contact the course/examiner if you have a compulsory part of your course that requires physical attendance. 

I am a student and in a risk group, do I have to write an exam on campus?

Talk to your examiner to come up with a solution. 

Can I get extra help or support from the student health centre?

If you’re worried you can turn to the Student Health Centre for support. The centre is not, however, offering tests or taking any other medical action related to COVID-19.

Are support functions such as study counsellors, libraries, and student health still available?

All support functions, such as study and career counsellors, the Academic Writing Support, Studying with disabilities, and Student Health Center, are open, but most of their work is currently conducted remotely. Please contact them by phone or email. Instructions and contact information can be found on the respective support function's website.