Checklist for when leaving Karolinska Institutet

Graduating soon and needing to wrap things up at Karolinska Institutet and in Stockholm? Follow the checklist on this page.


Graduation ceremony

Students graduating from the Global Master's and Bachelor's Programmes and all students who have taken a licentiate degree are welcome to a ceremony at Karolinska Institutet in May or June every year. An official invitation will be sent out to you via email, so do check your inbox, including your SPAM filter.

Degree certificates

A degree certificate is issued to students who have completed their programme. However, you must apply for a degree certificate from Karolinska Institutet in order to receive one. The degree certificate is free of charge.

Read more on the degrees page

Transcript of records

A transcript of records is a summary of a student's academic performance and progress. Swedish transcript of records are held in the database Ladok. If a student has completed their degree, this will also be stated on the transcript of records.

Students can view their own transcript of records in Ladok throughout their studies and also request their official academic transcripts at no cost, at any time and as many times as they want.

Official transcript of records that requires a stamp and signature can be requested through

Keep track of KI accounts and cards

Email and Canvas 

As a student at KI, you will have access to your student e-mail, Canvas and other systems in about two semesters after you have completed your studies. However, you can no longer access Office 365 when you are not registered as an active student in Ladok.

Towards the end of the second semester after completing your studies, you will receive a notification to the student email detailing when your account will be closed. Remember to save important files from your home directory and student email before the account is closed!

KI card

Your KI card is valid for as long as you are a student at Karolinska Institutet.

University Library

Visiting researchers/students at KI use their KI card as a library card. If you are staying in Sweden after your studies finish and have a valid Swedish ID card, you may extend the validity of your library card on a year-by-year basis.

Remote access to the library services is also limited to when you are a student or employee at Karolinska Institutet. This means that you cannot access fulltext articles after your study period has ended. Although, you have access to articles through library computers on site at campus. Ask a librarian and they will help you. Find contact details on the University Library webpage.

Contact your bank and relevant public authorities

Close your bank account

Remember to close your bank account before you leave, or unnecessary fees may incur. You do this by contacting or visiting your local branch.

Check your residence permit

If you want to extend your residence permit you need to contact the Swedish Migration Agency. 

The migration agency has set up a FAQ-page where they answer questions about resi­dence permit for studies.

Notify the Tax Office

If you are moving out of Sweden and are intending to be away for a year or more, you need to notify the Swedish Tax Office (Skatteverket).

You do this by filling out the form 'Notification, moving abroad' and sending it to Skatteverket.

Download the form and send it to:

Skatteverkets inläsningscentral
FE 2001
839 86 Östersund

Notify the Pensions Agency

If you have been working in Sweden for a longer period of time you may need to contact the Pensions Agency regarding international issues relating to pension.

Keep in touch! - KI Alumni

Being a member of KI Alumni can help you preserve old memories, make new ones, keep updated with the happenings at Karolinska Institutet and boost your career.

Start your career

A master's degree at Karolinska Institutet opens doors to both PhD/Doctoral studies and in the public and private sectors. Read more about career opportunities after your master's degree on Career service or Doctoral education.