Degree Project for Master's Degree (120 credits) in Odontology, 30 creditsExamensarbete för masterexamen i odontologi, 30 hp
- Course code
- Course name
- Degree Project for Master's Degree (120 credits) in Odontology
- 30 credits
- Form of Education
- Higher Education, study regulation 2007
- Main field of study
- Second cycle, contains degree project for Master of Arts/Master of Science (120 credits)
- Grading scale
- Fail (U) or pass (G)
- Department of Dental Medicine
- Decided by
- Styrelsen för utbildning
- Decision date
- Revised by
- Board of Higher Education
- Last revision
- Course syllabus valid from
- Autumn 2014
Specific entry requirements
Degree of Master of Science in Dental Surgery or about at least 180 credits or equivalent. 30 credits in completed courses within the main field of study odontology (second cycle) including the course Scientific Theory and Research Methodology within Dentistry (15 credits) are required. In addition to this 60 credits in completed courses, of which 30 credits in second cycle, are required. And proficiency in Swedish and English equivalent to Swedish B/Swedish 3 and English A/English 6.
On completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- show advanced knowledge in scientific methods, problem-solving and apply the acquired knowledge to the field of dentistry
- independently identify, design and formulate research questions, plan, write and present a research plan within a restricted field
- consider the ethical aspects associated to their own research area
- systematically collect and analyse relevant material and explain their choice of methods related to the scientific question
- independently plan, carry out, compile data, evaluate and write a research article that contributes in-depth knowledge within to the main field of study
- demonstrate an ability to communicate with different groups at both a national and international level; orally and by writing a clear account that shows their knowledge, discusses their conclusions and the arguments behind them
- analyse and review critically others' research and how this should be communicated
- apply the scientific publication process
The student will independently plan and write a research plan in English within their chosen field and presents this at seminars. This is implemented with the consultative guidance of a selected PhD supervisor.
After the research plan has been accepted, the experiment or collection of material and data may proceed.
Results from the study should be compiled and reported regularly in the form of progress reports in a seminar or written report.
A scientific paper will be written containing: summary, introduction, materials and methods, results and discussion in English. The quality and scope of the paper should correspond to a publishable article for a scientific journal in the dental field. The article should be written in English and be supplemented with a summary in Swedish.
The essay will be presented for students, supervisors and examiners. The student also should review and publicly discuss another student's degree project.
The course format is supervision, literature studies, project planning, research, progress reports, seminars, write a scientific article and review/oppose another student's work.
Compulsory attendance is required at the timetabled seminars. in the event of absence, compensation data are in agreement with course management. The mandatory seminars and lectures will be held at the Department of Dental Medicine, Huddinge, while the research project is carried out elsewhere under the guidance of an appointed supervisor.
The project work will be presented in seminars once the other compulsory elements are completed. The work be reviewed by examiners and will be opposed by another student from the course.
f the student does not submit the thesis at the normal time or does not carries out the examination, they must wait until the next examination opportunity. Examinations are carried out once a semester.
Examination will be provided during a period of two years after a close-down of the course.
Language of instruction: Swedish
Literature and other teaching aids
2. uppl. : Lund : Studentlitteratur, 1996 - 151 s. ISBN:91-44-36652-3 LIBRIS-ID:8353602 Library search
2nd ed. : Chicago : Quintessence Pub. Co., c2007 - x, 312 p. ISBN:978-0-86715-426-9 (pbk.) LIBRIS-ID:10682194 Library search
4. ed. : Philadelphia : Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2000 - 356 s. + e 1 DC-ROM ISBN:0-7817-1860-0 LIBRIS-ID:8307462 Library search