Degree Project for Master's Degree (120 credits) in Odontology, 30 creditsExamensarbete för masterexamen i odontologi, 30 hp
- Course code
- Course name
- Degree Project for Master's Degree (120 credits) in Odontology
- 30 credits
- Form of Education
- Higher Education, study regulation 2007
- Main field of study
- Second cycle, contains degree project for Master of Arts/Master of Science (120 credits)
- Grading scale
- Fail (U) or pass (G)
- Department of Dental Medicine
- Decided by
- Styrelsen för utbildning
- Decision date
- Revised by
- Education committee DENTMED
- Last revision
- Course syllabus valid from
- Autumn 2018
Specific entry requirements
Degree of Master of Science in Dental Surgery or about at least 180 credits or equivalent. 30 credits in completed courses within the main field of study odontology (second cycle) including the course Scientific Theory and Research Methodology within Dentistry (15 credits) are required. In addition to this 60 credits in completed courses, of which 30 credits in second cycle, are required. And proficiency in Swedish and English equivalent to Swedish B/Swedish 3 and English A/English 6.
On completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- demonstrate knowledge and comprehension of odontology, with a particular focus on the chosen dental field
- identify and design research questions
- show advanced knowledge of scientific methods and apply the acquired knowledge to the field of dentistry
- reflect on and apply ethical aspects in their own research area
- systematically search for and collect relevant data
- critically review, evaluate and synthesise information
- independently plan and complete a written project within a given time-frame, which contributes to the development of knowledge in the dental field
- demonstrate an ability to, orally and in writing, communicate with others, at both a national and international level, regarding their own knowledge, conclusions and arguments
- evaluate their own work and scientific contribution, and show insight into the possibilities and limitations of research
- identify and take responsibility for their own need of further knowledge
The student independently plans and completes a research project in the field of odontology. The student is trained in the different aspects of the research process, including critical review of literature, data collection and analysis, as well as in giving oral presentations. By giving feedback on another student’s work, the student’s critical review skills are further enhanced.
The quality and scope of the project report should correspond to a publishable article for a scientific journal in the dental field. The project report is written in English and is supplemented with a summary in Swedish.
The main part of the course is dedicated to the completion of the research project. The project is implemented with the consultation of a selected supervisor. The progress is continuously monitored in scheduled seminars. There are also scheduled lectures on the selected topics.
Compulsory attendance is required at the scheduled seminars and lectures. The course coordinator decides whether, and if so how, absence from compulsory course elements can be made up.
The seminars and lectures are held at the Department of Dental Medicine, Huddinge, while the research project is carried out either at the Department of Dental Medicine, Huddinge or elsewhere under the guidance of an appointed supervisor.
Written presentation of the research plan; after the research plan is approved, the experiment or collection of material and data may proceed.
Written and oral progress report of the research project at a half-time seminar.
Written and oral presentation of the master’s project at a seminar, as well as a written and oral peer review of another student’s project.
If the student does not pass the half-time examination, does not submit the assignments related to the written project by the scheduled time, or does not attend the examination, they must wait until the next examination opportunity. Examinations are carried out once a semester.
Examination will be provided during a period of two years after a close-down of the course.
Language of instruction: Swedish and English
Literature and other teaching aids
2. uppl. : Lund : Studentlitteratur, 1996 - 151 s. ISBN:91-44-36652-3 LIBRIS-ID:8353602 Library search
2nd ed. : Chicago : Quintessence Pub. Co., c2007 - x, 312 p. ISBN:978-0-86715-426-9 (pbk.) LIBRIS-ID:10682194 Library search
4. ed. : Philadelphia : Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2000 - 356 s. + e 1 DC-ROM ISBN:0-7817-1860-0 LIBRIS-ID:8307462 Library search