Health policy, management and economics, 4.5 creditsHälso- och sjukvårdspolitik, management och hälsoekonomi, 4.5 hp
This course syllabus is valid from autumn 2017.
- Course code
- Course name
- Health policy, management and economics
- 4.5 credits
- Form of Education
- Higher Education, study regulation 2007
- Main field of study
- Global Health
- AV - Second cycle
- Grading scale
- Fail (U), pass (G) or pass with distinction (VG)
- Department of Global Public Health
- Decided by
- Programnämnden för folkhälsovetenskap
- Decision date
- Revised by
- Education committee PHS
- Last revision
- Course syllabus valid from
- Autumn 2017
Specific entry requirements
- Describe the health policy making process and the factors influencing it.
- Know the different theories explaining how decisions are made in the policy making process.
- Understand the organization of health systems across the globe.
- Apply health system thinking to understand the interactions between the different health systems blocks across the globe.
- Identify the current challenges that the different health system blocks face and propose solutions to tackle these challenges.
- Apply some basic concepts and tools in health economics.
- Describe basic health care financing models and use them analytically.
- Describe global institutions and other transnational actors in health
- Power and the policy making process.
- Global institutions and transnational actors in health.
- The state, the private sector and health policy.
- Introduction to stakeholder analysis.
- Health systems and health system thinking.
- Health system resilience and shocks to the system.
- Health systems and governance.
-Current challenges faced by the health systems blocks.
- Essential models for health care financing
- Basic concepts in health economics (DALY, QALYs, cost-benefit, cost-effectiveness analysis).
- Presentation of basic issues and methods for monitoring and evaluation
- Course project.
- Oral and written presentation of group work
Requirements for G are G on the course project and participation in oral presentations. Requirements for VG are VG on the course project and participation in oral presentations.
The student has the right to write the exam six times. If the student has not passed the exam after four participations he/she is encouraged to visit the study advisor.
The number of times that the student has participated in one and the same examination is regarded as an examination session. Submission of a blank examination is regarded as an examination. An examination for which the student registered but not participated in will not be counted as an examination.
Examination will be provided during a time of two years after a possible cancellation of the course. Examination can take place according to an earlier literature list during a time of one year after the date when a major renewal of the literature list has been made.
The course language is English.
Literature and other teaching aids
2nd ed. : Maidenhead : Open University Press, 2012. - 222 p. ISBN:978-0-335-24634-2 (pbk.) LIBRIS-ID:13515382 Library search