Hear from Nutrition Science alumni Resthie
Hear from alumni Resthie about choosing Karolinska Institutet, what she liked the best about studying the Master's Programme in Nutrition Science, and what she is doing today.
Three reasons I chose to study nutrition science at KI:
- It gave me the opportunity to learn many aspects of nutrition science. Not only basic nutrition, but also from a climate and environment perspective, molecular nutrition, the utilisation of mobile health in improving lifestyle, methodology and statistical concepts in nutrition research.
- The courses were not only about nutrition, but also in physical activity. This was very beneficial because a healthy lifestyle is not solely about the food you eat, but also about being physically active.
- The Department of Biosciences and Nutrition at KI has many research groups, and some of the researchers teach at the Master’s Programme of Nutrition Science. Since my dream was to work in research, choosing to study nutrition science at KI would give me exposure to researchers and their research groups.
My favourite course of the programme:
It is difficult to choose one because I enjoyed every course, and the learning process was really fruitful to me. Each course was taught in a different way so that I almost never felt bored during my time studying at KI. However, a course that has been the most beneficial to me is the degree project. All students spent a whole semester to do a degree project. We were given an opportunity to choose and apply a project based on our background and interest. It gave me the chance to expand and deepen my knowledge of the specific subject that I wanted to work with in the future. Moreover, I eventually got the opportunity to continue working on that project as a PhD student now.
The best thing about studying at Karolinska Institutet:
- You learn from the “true masters”. Most of the teachers are experts in their fields. They work in an international environment, and are not only experts but also skilled teachers.
- You meet students from all over the world, with different cultures and backgrounds. You learn not only from your teachers, but also from your fellow students.
- As Karolinska Institutet is one of the top universities in the world, I found it quite smooth to build influential networks when people know that I had a master’s from KI :)
One thing I learnt that I didn’t know before starting the programme:
How your choice of food may influence climate and environment dramatically (either in a good way or bad).
What I do today:
I am now a PhD student in the Department of Clinical Science, Intervention, and Technology at Karolinska Institutet. My research is about childhood obesity and liver health. My doctoral project is a continuation from the degree project I started during my Master’s Programme in Nutrition Science.
Where I see myself in three years:
I will be finishing my doctoral project enthusiastically. Hopefully my project will give impact for the future of children with obesity. My plan is to finish my PhD by 2025 and continue working as a postdoctoral researcher in a university.
I wish someone had told me this before I started the programme:
KI has a lot of services, courses, facilities outside the master’s programme itself. For instance, courses on writing and academic writing support from KI library, Swedish course, freestanding courses, study counsellors, fancy study rooms, gym, nice cabins provided by the student union, etc. When you are a student at KI, you can use all those things if you want/ need to.
My advice to future nutrition science students at KI:
- Read the syllabus of the programme and the learning outcomes of each course thoroughly so that you understand what you are going to learn during the whole programme.
- Try to identify what you want to be after graduation from the nutrition science programme.
- Don’t hesitate to ask questions or ask for clarification so that you can achieve the learning outcomes.
- Be proactive in building network during your time at KI, both at formal and informal events.
- Don’t hesitate to ask for job/project/internship opportunities if you get the chance.
Name: Resthie Rachmanta Putri
Country of origin: Indonesia
Bachelor degree: Medical doctor, graduated from the University of Indonesia
Master's degree: Nutrition Science, Karolinska Institutet, June 2020