For students attending the Bachelor's Programme in Biomedicine Exchange studies - Bachelor's Programme in Biomedicine

Before the Exchange

Once you have received confirmation of acceptance from the host university, you will have taken your biggest step towards an exchange adventure.

Congratulations! Now it is time to sort out the other preparations to make your studies abroad a reality.

As soon as you have received your Letter of Acceptance, please send a copy to your international coordinator (

She will then send you the travel grant application, your travel insurance (valid 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after your exchange) as well as the Code of Conduct, which you need to read through, sign and mail back to her.

A good idead is to start off by reading the general information on exchange studies through KI on Study Abroad.

During exchange studies

Make sure to first read the information in Study Abroad/During the Exchange.

Address at the location of study

It is a good idea to inform the International Coordinator about your address and telephone number as soon as possible after arrival. The same applies if you move during the semester.

Information on studies carried out

Collect as much information as possible about the courses and/or project you will carry out during your exchange (course descriptions, list of course literature, timetable, etc), to make it easier to transfer your credits on your arrival home. If possible, try to bring your certificates/reports of studies you have carried out with you when you travel home.

Be a good ambassador for KI

Take part in information meetings or fairs during the exchange and talk about your study programme, KI, Stockholm and Sweden. Some information material about KI in English is available from the Student Advisers. The Swedish Institute has good information about Stockholm and Sweden.

Often our partner universities ask our students to present Karolinska Institutet for their fellow students and/or teaching staff.

For participants in the Erasmus+ programme

Before the exchange period has finished, fill out and bring the Certificate of Attendance to the International Coordinator (or similar) at the host university who then must sign and stamp the certificate. The form is compulsory for all Erasmus students. Hand in the certificate according to the instructions in the pdf.

If something should happen

Always contact someone at KI if something serious should happen to you during your exchange. If you need to use the Student UT insurance through the Swedish Legal, Financial and Administrative Services Agency (Kammarkollegiet) during the period of your exchange, you must file a claim. Remember that theft must be reported to the local police authority. The full terms and conditions of the Student UT insurance as well as claim forms are available on the Swedish Legal, Financial and Administrative Services Agency's website. The claim should be signed by you and sent together with any police reports and/or receipts to the International Coordinator at KI for verification. It will then be sent to the Swedish Legal, Financial and Administrative Services Agency. Remember that within Europe, claims for compensation for medical care shall first of all be tried by the Swedish Social Insurance Office through the European Health Insurance Card.

ICE - In Case of Emergency

Should something serious happen to you during your exchange, if you for instance become unconscious, it is a good idea to have ICE-contacts in your cell phone's address book. ICE is an international concept, where the paramedics quickly can get in touch with your next of kin. Remember to add the prefix '+' instead of '00' (which only works in Europe). The country code for Sweden is +46. If you for example would add your sister in Sweden as your ICE-contact, add her as (for instance) 'ICE SISTER +4670123456'. You can add more than one ICE.

Information about accreditation of your studies at another university also called transfer of credits

Applications for accreditation of whole course or part of course should be handed in to the course leader via the Course administration; the exception being accreditation for elective courses or exchange studies comprising multiple courses (e.g. exchange of semester 3 in Leiden), where the application should be sent to the programme officer.

You have to fill out one application form for each course you wish to accredit. Take your time filling out the application form, so you get everything filled out correctly. When you apply for accreditation of elective courses, write Elective courses in the field "Name of course at KI" and leave the field "Course code" empty.

For the credits that are transferred no financial aid for studies can be obtained.

Grades are not obtained for courses that are accredited.

Decision in advance is only given when going on exchange studies.

In your application you have to include:

  • Official transcript showing the name and credits of the course, in both the course's orginal language as well as in English. If the course was studied at an international university you also need to add information about the course's duration in weeks/hours - e.g. a schedule.
  • Course syllabus
  • For elective courses a motivation to why this course should be accredited into the programme should be added.
  • If available, add laboratory reports and other documents that you think may help us decide whether or not this course has the right content and level.

We cannot give back any documents so don't hand in any originals, only certified copies.

Administrative forms

The turnover time for decisions regarding accreditation is 4 to 8 weeks

To be able to take a decision regarding the application before the course you want to accredit starts, the application has to be submitted two months before the start of the course. All information has to be filled out correctly and all the required documents included. The turnover time starts first when a complete application has been submitted. 

If your application is regarding one ordinary course within the programme the application should be sent to course responsible department.

If your application is regarding elective courses or exchange studies comprising more than one course the application should be sent to: Markus Jonegård


Profile image

Giulia Grillo Mikrut

International officer
Content reviewer: