For participants in contract education - how to activate your student account
Everyone who attends a credit-bearing education at Karolinska Institutet receives a student account. The account gives you access to a number of services such as the Canvas learning platform, e-mail, KI's wireless network, the web-based system for study documentation (Ladok), and remote access to the library's resources.
How to activate your student account
- When you are admitted to a credit-awarding contract education, you will receive an e-mail from Karolinska Institutet with your username (KI-ID) and an activation code. You use this information to activate your student account.
- Go to the activation page. (Note that you can not use Internet Explorer for this, use a different browser such as Chrome, Safari or Firefox.)
- On the activation page, enter your social security number, e-mail or KI-ID (username) and fill in the activation code that you have received in the e-mail. You also need to check the box that you are not a robot.
- In the next step, create a password associated with your username.
- Now your student account will be activated and ready to use. Please note that it may take up to 24 hours for the e-mail account to be activated.
Services accessed with your student account
You can log in with your username ("KI-ID") and password to access services such as:
- Your student email.
- Canvas - web-based learning platform
- Ladok on the web (where you see your admission and results upon completion of the course)
- Remote access to the library's resources
- You can read more about KI's various e-services here.
I did not receive the e-mail with my username and activation code. What do I do?
The e-mail will be sent in connection with your admission to the course. It usually takes place one or a few weeks before the course starts. If you do not receive the e-mail, it is usually due to one of the following reasons:
- If you have previously studied at Karolinska Institutet, you already have a KI ID and you will therefore not receive the e-mail with your username and activation code. You can reset your username and password here.
- Check in your spam folder. Sometimes the e-mail ends up there.
- If the e-mail is not in your spam folder, it could be because you have another e-mail address linked to the web-based study documentation system (Ladok). It's probably the e-mail address you used when you last studied at university or college. Check the inbox of that e-mail address.
If you have not received the e-mail with your username and activation code a week before the start of the course, or if you do not know which e-mail address, or do not have access to the e-mail address that is linked to Ladok, contact the course coordinator.
I forgot my password and / or username. How do I restore these?
Should you forget the password for your student account, you will need to order a new activation code. You order a new activation code here. The activation code will be sent to your home by post to your population registration address within 1-3 days.
You can also visit Student-IT at the University Library at Karolinska Institutet campus Solna. Bring your identification to get help changing the password.
How do I log in to Canvas?
If you attend a credit-bearing course, you log in to Canvas as a student (the purple box).
If you attend a non-credit course, you log in to Canvas as an external user (the blue/green box).