My student account
All Karolinska Institutet students get a student account which gives you access to a range of services, such as email, student computers, remote access to library resources, the learning platform Canvas and the university's wireless network.
Enable 2-step verification for your student account.
It gives the student account more security and also makes it possible for you to easy change the password to your student account (via Office) even if the old password has expired or if you have forgotten it.
If you have any problems or questions regarding the two-step verification, please contact Student IT
Activate your student account
- As a new student, you need to activate your student account. Please follow the instructions below. For autumn semester 2022, you can activate your account from August 3rd 2022. If you were admitted as a reserve, you should be able to activate your account within a few days after you have accepted your study spot.
- When you activate your student account you comply to the University Library service regulations.
- If you have studied at KI the two previous semesters you should use the same login as before. If you have forgotten your login details, please see instructions under the heading Change the password to your student account.
- Read more at Digital tools and services for students about the services that your student account gives you access to.
Activate your student account in one of the following four ways. Most students with no Swedish National registration number use number 1.
1. Via activation code from KI
If you have received an activation code by email, post or handout:
This applies mainly to exchange students, global programme students, students who lack a Swedish National registration number, distance students who are not registered by the authorities in Sweden, doctoral students from other universities, post-docs and other external course participants.
Did not receive an activation code?
Order a new activation code which will be sent by post to your population registration address.
2. Via account at antagning.se
If you have a Swedish National registration number (consisting of your date of birth and four additional digits) and an account at antagning.se:
You need to have activated your account at antagning.se first. Please direct any questions about your account at antagning.se to the support team at antagning.se.
3. Via account at eduID.se
If you have a Swedish National registration number and an account at eduID.se:
You need to have activated your account at eduID.se first. Please direct any questions about your eduID account at email@example.com, tel: 0455-385200.
4. Contact Student IT
If you haven’t received an activation code or need help to activate your student account you can contact Student IT at the University Library (KIB). Please note that you have to show identification.
Register for your course or programme
Once you have activated your student account, it's important that you also register for your course or programme to keep your spot. To register, you must follow the instructions for registration found at the course / programme website.
Change the password to your student account
You can change the password at any time. Your new password:
- must consist of at least ten characters
- must contain at least two letters and at least either two special characters or digits
- must not contain Scandinavian characters, such as å, æ, ö, ø, etc.
Please note that you are not allowed to reuse old passwords. Also, the password must not contain personal information, such as your name or social security number, and it may not be used outside KI.
- Create a new password with the help of Office365. Here is a guide on how to change your password via Office365. Please note that this method of changing your password requires that you have activated two-step verification.
Having problems creating a new password via Office365?
If you have a Swedish National registration number you can also order a new activation code from KI. Please note that the activation code will be sent by mail to the postal address where you are registered by the Swedish authorities.
If you lack a Swedish National registration number you can get help resetting the password by contacting Student IT. Please be sure to be ready to show identification.
The password for your student account is valid for 12 months, then it must be changed. You will be notified by email when it's time to change the password.
You can change the PIN code to your KI card (you need to be on campus to be able to access the site).
What is the student account used for?
The student account consists of a username (KI ID), a password and an email address.
The student account can be used for the following services:
- Canvas - webbased learning platform
- E-mail – all students at KI get a student e-mail. When logging in, your username is your e-mail address (firstname.lastname@example.org). You can also forward the student e-mail to your private e-mail. By doing so, you won't miss out on important information from KI.
- Ladok – web service to check reported study results and to print verified certificates
- Office 365
- KI’s wireless network: eduroam
- Remote access to the library resources
- Borrowing books at the library. By activating your student account you agree on the library service regulations. Your KI card is your library card.
- Book a group study room
- Book the resource room
- Make appointments with Academic Writing Support or guidance in information searching at the library
- Logging on to the computers at campus
I am getting an error message when activating my student account, what is wrong?
This is probably because your chosen password does not fulfill the demands. Try again: use at least ten characters, of which at least two letters and at least two numbers/special characters.
I have just been accepted from being a reserve, why can't I activate my student account?
Often it takes a day before your student account is created. Have some patience and try again a little later.
How long is the student account password valid?
The password for your student account is valid for 12 months, then it must be changed. You will receive information to your student e-mail account when it's time to change (also check spam folder). Please note that you are not allowed to reuse previous passwords.
I do not receive e-mails to my student e-mail
Check the spam folder in your student e-mail.
How do I activate two-step verification via app?
I´m having problems connecting to eduroam
Reinstall eduroam on your device by forget the network and then reinstall.
I seem to be missing content in Canvas
You have to talk with the teacher responsible for the course.
How do I update my contact information?
Log in to Ladok to change your contact information.
What happens to the student account after the studies are finished?
You have access to your student e-mail, Canvas and other systems two semesters after you have finished your studies.
However, you no longer have remote access to the library resources or Office 365 when you are not registered as an active student at KI.
At the end of the second semester, you will receive a notice by email to the student-email address when your account will be shut down.
If you’re on a study break, you’ll keep your account during that time, but no remote access to the library resources or Office 365.
Remember to save all important files and e-mails before your account is closed down!
If you want to continue using Office 365 after your studies – please contact Microsoft for a private license.
How do I save my e-mails from the student e-mail after graduation?
If you want to save e-mails from your student e-mail, the easiest way to do so is to forward e-mails to another e-mail account.
You can also import the whole student e-mail account to another account by Microsoft, if you have one.
When you log in to your account in Outlook, your username is your e-mail, that is, email@example.com.
If you need assistance with your student account, please contact Student IT.