Work-related and needlestick injuries

On this page you can find information on what to do if you suffer a work-related or a needlestick injury.

In case of an injury

Report a work-related injury

  • If you are a KI student : Report your injury in the KI incident reporting system.
  • If you are a student at another higher education institution: Contact your programme coordinator.

Work-related and needlestick injuries with a risk of blood infection

A work/needlestick injury might, for example, consist of blood or other bodily fluids from the patient on the skin, splashing on mucous membrane, or in the eyes, while administering a test, injection or while suturing.

Follow the instructions in the flowcharts

Please note that there are two different flowcharts!

Flowchart for weekdays, evenings and weekends (NB! Friday evenings follow flowchart for when the Student Wellbeing Centre is closed)

Flowchart for when the Student Wellbeing Centre is closed, i.e. Friday evenings, long weekends and semester breaks

Needlestick injury report (in Swedish)

Work-related or needle stick injuries with a risk of blood infection during study placement abroad

The risk assessment of the index patient is carried out by a doctor at the location of the placement, and samples are taken from the patient if consent is given.

If possible, antibody tests should be done on the student at the placement location (hepatitis B, hepatitis C and HIV).

If there has been exposure on injured skin, mucus membrane or in the eyes to blood or other bodily fluids which are known or strongly suspected to be infected with HIV, prophylactic treatment should be considered. If prophylactic treatment is indicated it should be initiated without delay, after no more than 36 hours. In case of insufficient immunity against Hepatitis B, a Hepatitis B vaccination should also be administered.

If you are in a low-income country, contact Falck Global Assistance for advice and direction to appropriate care facilities.

KI Student

  1. Report your injury in the KI incident reporting system
  2. Notify KI's personal injury insurance from the Legal, Financial and Administrative Services Agency (Kammarkollegiet)

Other higher education institutions

  • Contact the programme coordinator
  • Contact the Student Wellbeing Centre for follow-up when you arrive home
  • Notify your university’s insurance company of your injury

If you have questions you may contact

  • Infectious diseases clinic at HIV Centre, Karolinska University Hospital Huddinge +46 73 699 6128 (office hours)
  • on-call infectious disease doctor at Karolinska University Hospital Huddinge +46 8 585 800 00 (switchboard) or Solna +46 8 517 700 00 (switchboard)
  • The Student Wellbeing Centre +46 8 524 835 60, leave a message and we will call you back.
Content owner: