Student Rights

On these pages you can read about what rights and obligations you have as a student. You can for example find information on admissions, examination, exam writing and study breaks.

The basic regulations for higher education are set out in the Higher Education Act (SFS 1992:1434) and the Higher Education Ordinance (SFS 1993:100) which also include subsequent amendments.

Alcohol and drugs in the introduction of new students

Everyone involved in the introduction of new students is involved in shaping attitudes to alcohol and drug consumption. The introduction of new students should be characterized by participation, security, respect and joy.

Administrative forms

On this page you can find administrative forms for transfer of credits, etc.


What decisions can be appealed and how you proceed.

Attendance at lectures

What applies to participating in teaching, attending lectures, seminars, etc?


Information about cheating and what happens if someone cheats.

Code of conduct - information on principles

Code of Conduct for International Mobility

Compulsory teaching

What educational elements are mandatory and how you make up missed components.

Cost of education

Education at Swedish universities is free of charge for citizens of an EU/EEA country.

Credit transfer

Transferring credits from previous studies or experience.

Disciplinary matters

Policy on cheating and how cases are handled.

Eligibility to advance to a subsequent course/term - applying for exemption

How you apply for exemption from the qualification requirements.


What rules apply to projects, theses, internships etc.

Equal treatment

Harassment and discrimination. What does KI do?

Examination and Grading System

What rating scales are used, how exams are corrected, how many times you get to write an exam,  etc.


Expulsion of students from higher education.


What insurance covers you as a student.

Interruption of studies

Study break? How do you apply and how do you appeal?

On-site training

The placement is done in county councils, municipalities or in the private sector.

Pregnant and breastfeeding/nursing students

Programmes for infectious disease control

Complimentary measures, such as vaccinations, for students having clinical training and/or laboratory course elements.


Rules for registration on programmes and courses.

Report an incident or make a complaint

How you as a student can report an incident or make a complaint. 

Student influence

Students' influence over their education. Who can appoint representatives?

Student ombudsperson

An independent body that is employed by the student unions.

Rules on the issuing of schedules 

Rules regarding schedules.

Union membership

Compulsory student union membership is removed, but the student unions have the right to appoint representatives to the governing body.

Content reviewer:
Emma Hägg