Skip to main content

Student rights

On these pages you can read about what rights and obligations you have as a student. You can for example find information on admissions, examination, exam writing and study breaks.

The basic regulations for higher education are set out in the Higher Education Act (SFS 1992:1434) and the Higher Education Ordinance (SFS 1993:100) which also include subsequent amendments.


What decisions can be appealed and how you proceed.

Compulsory teaching

What educational elements are mandatory and how you make up missed components.

Cost of education

Education at Swedish universities is free of charge for citizens of an EU/EEA country.

Credit transfer

Transferring credits from previous studies or experience.

Disciplinary matters

Policy on cheating and how cases are handled.

Eligibility to advance to a subsequent course/term - applying for exemption

How you apply for exemption from the qualification requirements.


What rules apply to projects, theses, internships etc.

Equal treatment

Harassment and discrimination. What does KI do?

Examination and Grading System

What rating scales are used, how exams are corrected, how many times you get to write an exam,  etc.

Examination guidelines

Policy on examination.


Exclusion of students from higher education.

Interruption of studies

Study break? How do you apply and how do you appeal?

On-site training

The placement is done in county councils, municipalities or in the private sector.

Programmes for infectious disease control

Complimentary measures, such as vaccinations, for students having clinical training and/or laboratory course elements.


Rules for registration on programmes and courses.

Student influence

Students' influence over their education. Who can appoint representatives?

Student ombudsperson

An independent body that is employed by the student unions.

Timetable, and course/programme syllabus

Courses and training plans and how schedules are posted.

Union membership

Compulsory student union membership is removed, but the student unions have the right to appoint representatives to the governing body.

Administrative forms

On this page you can find administrative forms for transfer of credits, etc.