Radiography - clinical education 5, 7.5 creditsRadiografi - verksamhetsförlagd utbildning 5, 7.5 hp
This course syllabus is valid from autumn 2016.
- Course code
- Course name
- Radiography - clinical education 5
- 7.5 credits
- Form of Education
- Higher Education, study regulation 2007
- Main field of study
- G2 - First cycle 2
- Grading scale
- Fail (U) or pass (G)
- Department of Clinical Science, Intervention and Technology
- Decided by
- Programnämnden för röntgensjuksköterskprogrammet
- Decision date
- Revised by
- Education committee Clintec
- Last revision
- Course syllabus valid from
- Autumn 2016
Specific entry requirements
Students who have failed in the clinical rotation or the equivalent as a consequence of demonstrating deficiencies in knowledge, skills or attitude so serious that the patient's safety or confidence in healthcare have been at risk is qualified for a new clinical rotation only when the individual action plan has been completed.
After completion of the course, the student shall be able to:
- treat the patients and their family showing a professional attitude and based on their different needs, and give patients adequate care in complex nursing environments
- adapt the communication to the patient's needs, and give individual information about examinations and treatments
- prepare and instruct the patient in connection with examinations and treatments and consider safety aspects
- discuss and explain the choice of the method for examination, based on information in the referrals and from the patients
- plan and perform occurring conventional examinations independently, as a whole and within reasonable time, and evaluate the quality of the examination and make corrections when needed
- explain and apply a radiation-hygienic way of working within conventional radiography, regarding image quality and radiation protection of patient and staff
- perform commonly occurring examinations with support of the clinical supervisor within magnetic resonance imaging
- perform aseptic technique and prepare patients and equipment for sterile procedures
- document or explain the documentation of adequate information according to current regulations in connection with an examination or a treatment
- show good ability to cooperation with different professionals
In order to gain an independent professional role within diagnostic imaging, the student will be training all phases of the examinations This includes planning, preparation and performance of the examinations as a wholeness, based on the information in the referral and instructions in a method book An important aspect is independent evaluation of radiographic images as a base for the diagnosis. Patient treatment and care, as well as communicative skills in contact with patients, relatives and colleagues, are essential aspects within all activities.
Magnetic resonance imaging
The student participates in planning and preparation as the prevention of risks and application of security measures are of great importance. The student performes commonly occurring examinations with support of a tutor, and this includes even patient care and communication, administration of drugs and documentation.
The student participates in planning and preparation of examinations and contributes in occurring treatments such as thoracocentesis or taking of specimens and administration of drugs.
Student writes a portfolio in order to support the own professional development.
Planning of the clinical education is done in consultation with the appointed adjunct clinical teacher.
The clinical rotation is compulsory and constitutes 32 hours per 1.5 credits. Compensation due to absence will be planned in consultation with appointed clinical teacher.
The student has right to undergo the clinical rotation within a course at most two times.
A student’s clinical education or equivalent may be ended immediately by an examiner if the student demonstrates such a serious lack of knowledge, skills or attitude that patient safety or patient’s confidence in medical care is jeopardized. When clinical education is ended in this way, it implies that the student fails the current module and one opportunity for clinical education has been used.
In such cases, an individual action plan will be drawn up detailing which activities and knowledge tests are required, before the student will be given a new opportunity to carry out clinical education.
If the course is examined by a extern exam, or other assignments with deadlines, a latest submission date is given at the introduction of the course. In cases where a completion is required a new date for latest submission is set. If the requirements for submission are not fulfilled the student is given the opportunity to submit the exam or the assignment at the next time course is given. Reasons for not meeting deadlines may be taken under consideration by examiner.
Literature and other teaching aids
6. ed. : St. Louis, Mo. : Mosby, cop. 2004 - xv, 447 s. ISBN:0-323-01937-4 LIBRIS-ID:9649937 Library search
3. ed., rev. and updated /b Torsten B.Moeller, Emil Reif : Stuttgart : Thieme, 2007 - ix, 264 s. ISBN:3-13-125503-X (GTV) LIBRIS-ID:10257344 Library search
3. ed., rev. and updated : Stuttgart : Thieme, cop. 2007 - viii, 247 s. ISBN:3-13-125603-6 (GTV) LIBRIS-ID:10322889 Library search
Stuttgart : Thieme, cop. 2007- - ix, 334 s. LIBRIS-ID:10446229 URL: https://lt.ltag.bibl.liu.se/login?url=http://www.thieme.com/SID2358701978210/ebooklibrary/flexibook/pubid-1997965084/index.html z Extern access endast anställda och studenter vid LiU
3. ed. : Stuttgart : Thieme, 2010. - xiii, 378 p. ISBN:978-3-13-784203-3 LIBRIS-ID:11925829 Library search
1. uppl. : Lund : Studentlitteratur, 2008 - 848 s. ISBN:978-91-44-03887-2 (inb.) LIBRIS-ID:10948825 URL: http://www.studentlitteratur.se/omslagsbild/artnr/31995-01/height/320/width/320/bild.jpg Library search
3., [rev. och utök.] uppl. : Lund : Studentlitteratur, 2008 - 367 s. ISBN:978-91-44-04794-2 LIBRIS-ID:10956051 Library search
Lund : Studentlitteratur, 2002 - 310 s. ISBN:91-44-01528-3 LIBRIS-ID:8427844 Library search
Stockholm : Vårdförbundet SHSTF FOU 2000:48, 2007
3. ed. : London : Hodder Arnold, 2007 - xvii, 267 p. ISBN:978-0-340-91222-5 LIBRIS-ID:10400822 Library search
4., omarb. uppl. : Stockholm : Liber, 2001 - , 447 s. ISBN:91-47-05077-2 LIBRIS-ID:8354393 Library search
Stockholm : Liber, 2009 - 823 s. ISBN:978-91-47-09938-2 LIBRIS-ID:11741634 Library search
5., [rev.] uppl. /b [illustrationer: Urban Frank och Poul Buckhöjd] : Stockholm : Norstedts Akademiska, 2008 - 704 s. ISBN:978-91-7227-557-7 (inb.) LIBRIS-ID:10740673 Library search
2., [uppdaterade och omarb.] uppl. : Lund : Studentlitteratur, 2007 - 340 s. ISBN:978-91-44-02067-9 LIBRIS-ID:10302460 URL: http://www.studentlitteratur.se/omslagsbild/artnr/31851-02/height/320/width/320/bild.jpg Library search